I am kind of obsessed with light wood floors lately. Last year I had dark hard wood floors put on the entire main floor, but in our next house I plan to go LIGHT! Here are 5 of my favorite ideas for inspiration.
1. Looks like a bleached pine wood floor with a few knots in the wood.
2. bleached white wood floors, wider planks. These floors almost look unfinished.
5. white washed pine floors LOVE that piano!
Over the weekend my husband and I stopped over at the Kate Spade store at the Fashion Square Mall (in Scottsdale, AZ!)
They were having a HUGE sale & it was pretty fabulous- as was the store. Shopping at Kate Spade is so much fun because the store is designed so beautifully & it is so COLORFUL! I love the gold/white wallpaper and the white striped pattern on the ebony floors.
Have you ever been to a Kate Spade store? Which one? Did you purchase anything over the weekend sale? (scroll down to see the shoes I bought!)
It is only natural for a homeowner to become less excited by their property if they have lived there for years or feel like they have outgrown their home. Although it is easy to think about moving, it’s a completely different prospect entirely actually doing it.
In these continually tough financial times and a somewhat stale housing market, moving house is a huge decision to make. It might be better for you and your family to consider ways of reinvigorating your property without the stress of selling, buying and moving your life to another location.
Here are some tips for improving your home instead of moving that can also add value to your property.
If you have the space, perhaps in the garden, then an extension is a great way of creating more space in your home. It will cost money and will reduce the size of the garden but could be a vital step to get more room without moving.
Think about which type of room you are lacking: if you need a new bedroom for a new arrival, then build a new bedroom but if your living room is tiny then the extension can act as an extended lounge space.
Choose a design suitable to your house – don’t go for modern when your property is Victorian, for example.
When there is no space horizontally and you do not have a garden big enough to add an extra room, a loft conversion is a great idea. It is no small task and a proper building job will certainly be required but a converted loft can be one of the best ways to add value to your house.
If your loft is tall and already spacious it could be a prime candidate for a value-increasing conversion, but you need to make sure it is completed to a high standard. Get the professionals in if you don’t have the experience of doing this yourself.
Knock through walls
Sometimes a property can look small if there are a lot of rooms on a floor with many walls in between. Walls are bold and, depending on your point of view, obstructive; particularly as many modern homes are in the open-plan style.
Knocking through a wall or two to turn two smaller rooms into one large space is a good thing to consider if you feel your home lacks room. If you have a separate kitchen and dining room then this could be combined into one functional area.
Your kitchen might have been fitted when you moved in 10 years ago and that means it could be well past its use-by date. A kitchen re-fit doesn’t have to be too costly and is a great idea to pursue.
A new kitchen can really create a buzz about your home but remember it is one of the rooms which will suffer the most wear and tear so needs to be regularly maintained and decorated.
Whatever changes you decide to make, it is important that you spare a thought for the protection needed for your home. This means looking at important policies, such as The Co-operative home insurance, and taking necessary action.
Some images from a Norwegian home that I just adore this morning. I love Kaspara’s scandinavian style, and my FAVORITE room in her home is the kitchen/dining space. Love that large white dining table with those mix n’ match dining chairs- & how she painted some bright white and others in a pretty peach shade.
After seeing her bedroom, I am tempted to buy the STENKLÖVER duvet for myself! SO cute!
Brightening up your home with a fresh new look is easier and more affordable than ever! From bold color to surf inspired style and more – Gilt.com Lifestyle Editor, Chassie Post, has the hottest trends of summer that will help you transform your home with an updated look and feel.
Chassie shares how you don’t have to break the bank to get a fresh Summer facelift. Just a few well placed items (an accessory here, a bright fun pillow there, a patterned throw on the end of a bed) and your on your way! So now you can indulge in a new summer look without burning a hole in your pocket. Here are 3 fun trends to help inspire you… (head over to Gilt’s Home Business for these great steals and more!)
TREND #1: TURQUOISE
Reminiscent of the Maldives coastal beauty, turquoise brings a subtle richness to every room. Whether it is a splash of the magnetic blue-green with a fun pillow or decorative object or an entire room painted with the hue, turquoise is sure to spruce up any interior for Summer.
- Shine by S.H.O. Ikat Blue Hand-Tufted Rug, Gilt.com - Original Retail: $360-$1,095, GILT: $99-$399
- Shine by S.H.O., Sloane Tray, Gilt.com - Original Retail: $114, GILT: $69
- Pure Fiber, Brushed Organic Cotton Throw, Gilt.com - Original Retail: $136, GILT: $79
- nuLOOM, Electrik Handmade Cowhide Rug, Gilt.com - Original Retail: $1,809-$3,189, GILT: $735-$1,299
- Innit Concha Chair, Gilt.com - Original Retail: $425, GILT: $289
- Platinum Collection by SF Designs, Tufted Chaise Lounge, Gilt.com - Original Retail: $1,050, GILT: $555
- Howard Elliott, Patio Universal Round Ottoman, Gilt.com - Original Retail: $612, GILT: $349
- Safavieh, Paradise Findes Garden Stool, Gilt.com - Original Retail: $302, GILT: $139
TREND #2: VIVA MEXICO! MEXICAN INSPIRED DÉCOR
Mexico is notorious for their impeccable use of bright, rich colors. Pops of oranges, pinks and reds with exotic prints and hand woven rugs will immediately bring culture and comfort to any space in your home.
- SHINE by S.H.O., Reyn Accent Table, Gilt.com - Original Retail: $894, GILT: $499
- Frog Hill Designs, Silk Ikat Pillow, Gilt.com – Original Retail: $159, GILT: $72
- Safavieh, Mirabelle Pillow (Set of 2), Gilt.com – Original Retail: $123-$146, GILT: $50-$58
- Kim Seybert, Coaster: Moasic, Gilt.com – Original Retail: $86, GILT: $38
- Zinc Decor, Stray Dog Designs Shelly Table Lamp, Price: $550
- Frog Hill Designs, Authentic Mexican Otomi Pillow, Gilt.com – Original Retail: $179, GILT: $92
- Coyuchi, Wave Rug, Gilt.com – Original Retail: $63-$360, GILT: $32-$180
- Seda France, Camellia Montagne Pagoda Candle, Gilt.com – Original Retail: $35, GILT: $7
- Pottery Barn, Talavera Melamine Serve Bowls, Price: $27.50
- Art Institute Museum Shop, Rainbow Colored Glasses, Price: $45
TREND #3: NAUTICAL
We cant always be at the beach, but we can always have something that reminds us of it. Bring the beach indoors with pieces inspired by summertime surf. Driftwood, rope, nautical stripes, and blown glass evoke the feeling of being seaside. Get that laid back yet luxurious East End look with decor that evokes Hamptons chic style and the sunny shores of Montauk in July.
- iCanvasART, Martha’s Vineyard, Gilt.com - Original Retail: $191-$677, GILT: $85-$299
- SHINE by S.H.O., Lanterns, Gilt.com - Original Retail: $114-$117, GILT: $69-$79
- Safavieh Pillows, Sibine Pillows (set of 2), Gilt.com - Original Retail: $146-$180, GILT: $55-$69
- Pure Fiber, Anchor Pillow Cover, Gilt.com – Original Retails: $85, GILT: $30
- Grandin Road, Nautical Rope Lanterns, Price: $49-$59
- Canvas Striped Storage Bags, GarnettHill.com - Price: $28-$58
- Cooper Classics, Aaron Mirror, Gilt.com - Original Retail: $258, GILT: $174
- Soicher Marin, North Eastern Schooners, Gilt.com – Original Retail: $240, GILT: $144
photo: Lifestyle Editor, Chassie Post
- 4 pretty things
- Before and After
- Christmas Decor
- craft supplies
- Dining Rooms
- flea markets
- floral centerpiece
- goodwill finds
- great rooms
- house renovation
- Inspired by Fashion
- interior paint
- iPhone Skins
- Lamps and Light Fixtures
- laundry room
- living rooms
- my house
- real estate
- Shabby Cottage
- Wall Decor
- window treatments
- Wish List
- wrapping paper
- July 2014
- June 2014
- March 2014
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
We'd love to hear from you! Please email us at email@example.com